Corporate venturing is the practice by which large corporations systematically collaborate with technology startups to accelerate their innovation and growth. It is a win-win process. Large corporations acquire agility, generation of new ideas, motivation of their teams, openness to take risks, etc. On the other hand, the startups benefit from the access to the market of the corporations, their teams, climbing capacities, resources and capital, etc.
A good start-up ecosystem proves to be better at shortening the cycles of innovation, exploiting technology, enhancing existing business models, and inventing new ones more quickly and effectively than big corporations. It is said that it is not the strongest of the species that survives, but the most adaptable.
Main goals of a Good Corporate Venture program:
- Explore new technologies and/or business models to gain strategic insight
- Renew corporate culture to foster a broad entrepreneurial mindset
- Access entrepreneurial talent and energy
- Use external innovation to promote an existing corporate innovation (i.e., a platform)
- Marketing and public relations
- Develop big brands to attract customers, partners and talent (digitization, etc.)
- Solve busines problems more quickly and cost-effectively and at lower risk
- Expand into future markets by accessing new capabilities, channels or emerging technologies
- Leverage new and/or faster routes to market
- Improve corporate social responsibility
- Develop potential acquisition targets
- Earn a financial return on venture investments
An acquisition implies the highest level of integration and commitment. As innovation is a risky path, we will help you to address and measure risk taking in a phased manner.
There are different tools that can be used depending on the objective to be achieved and the degree of integration and use of capital to be invested:
Our experience in advising companies in high growth sectors, especially in the technology sector, allows us to help you systematically establish a relationship with startups that will accelerate your growth. Our Intelfin tool provides a comprehensive vision of the trends and generation of disruptions in your market.
Our methodology is comprehensive and covers everything from goal setting to tool selection and support for strategy execution:
- Define Objectives
- Self-assessment of the company’s situation
- Identify the areas of your business more exposed to innovation
- Check the areas in your industry that are creating sustained growth opportunities
- Set up your preferred search fields, in line with the previous steps
- Choose the tools to use and when. Complement internal and external innovation